This is one of the most effective exercise for biceps which can also be done with dumbbells. Barbell restricts the movements of your arms.
How to do Barbell Curl exercise properly
- Standing upright holding the barbell at a shoulder-width apart. Your palms should be faced forward and your elbows should be close to your torso. This is your initial position.
- Holding the upper arms stationary, contract your biceps, curl down the weights forward as you exhale. Make sure that only your forearms are moving.
- Continue the movements till the bar is at the shoulder level and biceps are contracted fully. Hold on that position for a moment or (count 1 to 3).
- Slowly get back to the starting posture while inhaling.
- Repeat these steps for the suggested amount of recurrence or until failure (generally 8-12 reps) or (10-12 with lower weights, 8-10 with medium weights and 6-8 with heavier weights).
You can perform this particular exercise by making use of a straight bar which is hooked to a low leveled pulley. This kind of variation will be providing a good contraction. You can also make use of firm grips for several other purposes.
Video Demo showing how to do Barbell Curl
Video Demo 2